Monday, December 15, 2008

Concert recap time.

So I saw a concert on Friday (in case you haven't looked at my blog or Twitter or Flickr or Facebook in the past week or so)! It was at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, which was about a 45 minute train ride, 10 minute bus ride, and very very cold 10 minute walk away from my apartment. Probably not a trek I'd like to make again at any point from December-March, but it was well worth it.

We got there at about 7:15. I checked out the merch stand, fell in love with a beautiful brown t-shirt with a rose on it, got a book of poetry and a different, less beautiful blue t-shirt, since it seemed to fit better and was a bit cheaper, went to find the restroom and just as I was washing my hands at 7:30, I heard Ryan Adams & The Cardinals start playing. I flew out of the bathroom, grabbed Jon by the arm and started freaking out. I was cold, I was excited about finally getting to see him/them live, I was worried that I was missing a part of the show, and I was trying not to fall down the stairs in the dark. I got to my seat, sat down and started bawling like a baby from all of the emotion.

I honestly don't even remember the first two songs...I realized shortly after sitting down that my camera, which I thought had been charging all day, was on its last bar of battery life (turns out the plug doesn't work...so it wasn't charging at all). I freaked out. Our seats were so great (Yay, Jon!) I was heartbroken because I thought I wouldn't be able to get any good pictures, and in case you haven't noticed, I love taking pictures. Luckily, I was able to conserve what was left of the battery pretty well and still get some decent snaps. The ones of Ryan Adams aren't that great, but no surprises there. The opening act rarely gets good lighting...which I think is a total shame. Especially in this case.


Finally, a few songs in, I started relaxing and after standing up and sitting down a bunch of times whenever people in the rows in front of us would show up, I decided to just stand. At first, I didn't want to be rude and make the other people behind me stand up too, but then I realized that no one there really cared all that much anyway. So there I was, standing with Jon. There was one other couple a few rows in front of us standing too. It was awesome. With everyone else sitting, I had a perfect view and it almost felt like they were just playing to us (and maybe that other couple too). They played for about an hour. It was magic. I'm now on a quest to see them again on their own tour. I need more.

Oasis came on after a short break. They had the same cocky swagger that I remember so well, and they were as good (musically and vocally) as I've ever heard them live. Jon posted their setlist here if you're interested. I kept seeing him typing on his phone, so finally I had to ask, "What the hell are you doing?" He was posting each song on Twitter as they were playing it so he would be able to go back and compile said list of tunes. Ah, the information age. I don't know how his Twitter followers felt about their feed being flooded with Oasis song names. Some were probably just utterly confused!

I don't really know what else to say about the actual show. The audience as a whole was a bit tame, but I was surrounded by Jon, who is a dancing fool at all concerts, and a bunch of somewhat rowdy guys who seemed like they'd been drinking most of the day, so I felt a lot of energy. One particular dudebro in front of us kept high-fiving everyone, standing on his seat (told again and again to get down by security, he wasn't scurred), and trying to flirt with the girl next to me. She wasn't really dancing all that much, so he took it upon himself to keep reaching over and lifting up her arms, thinking that this would make her evening more enjoyable, perhaps? Needless to say, she looked creeped out and ended up switching places with her friend, haha.

The lights were amazing, the sound was spot-on, and my rockstar crush on Noel renewed again (not that it ever left, really). I joked on Facebook that I got to spend the evening with three of my fake boyfriends and my one real one. Well, I can't thank the real one enough. I'm glad he's a good sport about all of my musician-worship and buys me concert tickets for Christmas to further feed my obsession. Thanks, Jon...if you ever read this!


Next up, the Dandy Warhols on New Years Eve and The Killers in January. More concert banter to come. I promise I'll get better at the reviewing part. I just need more practice. ;)

Randomness for the day: A farmer in Japan made Apple apples. I have no idea why.

No comments: