Sunday, December 14, 2008

Delicious!

I really want to write about the concert last night. Honestly, I don't know what to say about it yet though, so it will wait until tomorrow. For now, just know that it was awesome. And pictures are up...I've been pimping them all over, so they're easily accessible.

Instead of posting an attempt at a concert review, tonight I will shoot for something easier. I will describe the yummy dinner I just had. There is a restaurant called Big Bowl here...as far as I know there are only two locations in Chicago. I went there for my birthday in July and fell in love with the food and drinks so much so that I crave it constantly.

Today, a friend from college called me and said that she would be in town for the night and asked if the boyfriend and I would like to go to dinner. I'm always game for some good company and excellent cuisine (that I don't have to cook), so we went to Big Bowl because it was convenient and something a bit different. To start off, I ordered a pomegranate sangria because there is nothing I love better than a fruity wine (though Blue Moon comes close). She ordered something that I probably would not have been adventurous enough to order: a Thai herb mojito, featuring gin, fresh lemon grass, mint, cilantro, and a pinch of Thai chile. It was odd and tasty, and I would recommend it to anyone who's not afraid of a little something different.

For dinner, I stuck to the same thing I got the last time I was there...and the time before that: the yellow curry vegetable with tofu, bok choy, green beans, seasonal vegetables, and a coconut curry sauce.

It was heaven, as usual. Sweet and creamy with a hint of spice going down. I often have major objections to my boyfriend's play-it-safe-and-order-the-same-thing-every-time routine at restaurants, but I honestly don't think that anything else can compare to this, so I will continue to eat it again and again and again until I no longer have access to it.

It was a lovely evening with flawless food and interesting conversation. It was nice seeing a friendly face from Tallahassee as well. It's funny how fast the years go, isn't it? I feel like no time has passed at all, when it has already been a year and a half since I moved. As much as I rag on Facebook, it has the amazing ability to make me believe I'm just as connected to everyone as I always was. I almost feel like I know more about people's lives now than I did when I saw them every day. It's kind of awesome when you think about it.

Random thought for the day: I don't care where I live, I only want to feel passionately about it. I see friends, writers, poets, musicians, and strangers that are connected to their physical location in a way I've never experienced. It is their city, and everyone else is only a visitor. A lot of my life has been spent daydreaming of escaping my current locale for a more exciting, exotic one. This is why I made myself travel. Even if I was afraid...even if I had no one to go with...I traveled all that my meager wages would allow. Now I feel like I am smack in the middle of the excitement, but I can't seem to make it my own. I'm working on it. I'm slower than most at truly letting people in, so perhaps I'm the same about places. I appreciate the things that Chicago has allowed me to do more than I can possibly put into words. It's almost surreal. Still, I sometimes find myself yearning for more. Ungrateful or insightful? Only time will tell.

This tune pretty much sums up how I've always felt on the subject. Yes, I suppose I was occasionally a bummer of a kid. It's probably one of the main reasons I loved them oh so much back in the day and continue to love them now:

2 comments:

[LaLa] Lauren said...

I love Big Bowl!

Alissa said...

I think I could eat there every day and be happy. I want some for lunch now.